Point Levis 1868
These photographs show members of the 1st Battalion, The 60th, The King’s Royal Rifle Corps, participating in athletics at Point Lévis on the south bank of the St. Lawrence River, opposite Quebec, in Canada in 1868.
The 1st Battalion, 60th, arrived in Canada from Malta on 1st October 1867. Four companies were detached to Quebec while the remainder went to Montreal. In June 1868 the whole Battalion was concentrated at Point Lévis. Lieutenant-Colonel H.F. Williams was temporary in command.
The Battalion remained encamped at Point Lévis until 6 October, being employed in the erection of a fort designed to protect the Citadel and town of Quebec. On completion of the work, the Riflemen received many compliments, including an official letter from the Mayor expressing the town’s people’s appreciation of their discipline and good conduct.
Sourced from Face Book
Credits given to The RGJ Museum