The design of our memorial which is the Centre piece of an act of remembrance is a collaboration of ideas, will now be made on a model form and donated to one of Winchester`s Museums..
Many nights of burning the midnight oil and lots of thought provoking conversations and research have bought to the arena the design entitled ‘No more Parades.’
‘No more parades’ is a memorial to remember all of the service personnel who served in the Regiment. The Regiment’s illustrious forefathers are remembered with the introduction of four figures. These figures are at the base of the design, which is a podium of Green, Red and Black. For those who are familiar with the history of the Regiment, simply the colours of the Regiment. It is important to state that the Regiment has never had colours in the truest word, no colours are paraded. But the colours referred to here are taken from the forefathers and remember the threads of history that have given us today. The Regiment advanced to the sound of a Bugle.
The service personnel are often referred to as men of Green, Brothers at Arms, or Riflemen. Men of Green due to the Green Tunics worn by them, Brothers at Arms due to the nature of service, a family of men on foot carrying their armoury, the Baker Rifle which had a fixed sword not a bayonet, hence the other reference Rifleman which is the equivalent to a Private in other Regiments.
The four figures will remember:
The 43rd (Monmouthshire) Regiment of Foot
The Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort’s own)
The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire light Infantry (43rd and 52nd)
The Kings Royal Rifle Corps (K.R.R.C)
Each of the above Regiments form the very fabric of the Green Jackets.
The Administration team and the curator of the Memorial felt it fitting to tell the Story of the Regiment’s history which dates back to Napoleonic times by using the figures, which in turn remember those that have made the ultimate sacrifice.
There will be inscriptions and verse on the main podium, alongside the names of the fallen who served in or were attached to the Regiment from the date 1958-2007, the Green Jacket collate Prayer will also be included along with a brief history.
The Green Jackets were formed in 1958 and disbanded in 2007.
It is not without mention that conflict doesn’t just bring forward loss of life, but also injury. We shall be placing on the memorial two books which have the same script but one which is in Braille.
The memorial will be formed with the enlisting of a local Artist and Stone Mason.
This memorial has a uniqueness in that its monetary worth, the majority cost of the build, will have been met by the Brothers in Arms themselves, standing shoulder to shoulder to remember their comrades and forefathers, the family of the Regiment. It is a Historical showcase, with a few surprises telling the History of the Regiment in focus. It is a memorial that will please young and old. It will be bringing the fallen home by remembering them at their regimental home, Peninsula Barracks. It also has the usage of Braille to enable all to enjoy and remember the uniqueness of the Memorial which has a sole purpose of Reflection.
Reflection on the History of the Regiment, its formation, and the personnel that served and those that gave, making the ultimate sacrifice.
We will remember them, for those that gave, there are ‘No more Parades.’
The Band and Bugles doing a night time show in Peninsula Barracks Continue reading
Winchester, associated with the Green Jackets since 1794, and their home since 1858, is a City that is one of the most ancient in all England. Continue reading